Sunday, November 4, 2007

Tribute from Ahmad,

It has been a few days now since I came across the jaw-dropping email notifying loved ones that our beloved brother had passed on. And the tears finally hit me hard after reading all the posts on this site and the articles from Baltimore and Maryland, but most of all Kristine’s post opened the flood gates.

Joe, as you all know, was passionate and intense but what struck me most about him was how sensitive he was. Under the tough guy mold he was really a softy who loved family, friends and protecting all of them. Joe and I would discuss a lot of political issues and deep stuff, but we also shared likeness to kids memories of Star Wars and Back to the Future films…lol.

Over the years whenever I had a chance to get to the US we’d either meet up or chat on the phone. Only this year he sent me a long email detailing that he was in the South Pacific and wouldn’t be able to get in touch until this fall. The last time I met with him personally was in Gypsy CafĂ© in Westwood, I invited him to dinner, and we discussed the interesting next step in his life the army. It was a great night and will not forget it or the bear hug at the end J.

He always mentioned his loving wife Athena and looked fondly at building his own family and household. God didn’t intend that for you my brother Joe, but as I was reminded by Kristine’s post, you will live on in all our households for the friend you are and the man you became. Having two kids now, that is a challenge for all of us: how to get our kids to be so compassionate, determined and loving and my hat is off to the Curreri’s on the job they did with Joe. He welcomed Nadya, my wife, like she he knew her for years. When I told her of the news she couldn’t believe we’d never be able to go out and discuss the world again.

The year I spent with Joe and the guys in the house was classic and I’ll cherish those memories for a lifetime and beyond. That U2 song “Stuck in a Moment” just popped in my head. Lol…Vendt you remember singing it with Joe and Tyler upstairs? Man we sucked J

What I admired about you most Joe was you always faced the challenges thrown in your way and you always threw yourself to help loved ones. It is only fitting that the last email from Joe was to give out Mikey's address to friends. I am so proud that we were able to discuss the matters that we did over the years and only yearn that I could have more of those in the future. But as Ryo stated in one of the below comments I’ll “see you around.”

Your brother and fellow Trojan,
Ahmad aka “Aak”

No comments: