Monday, November 12, 2007

From Bill Jewell

Dear Family and Friends,
During my tenure at USC (1999 to 2005) I was fortunate to have coached and mentored an outstanding group of men and women who have matured rapidly into fine adults. I feel very fortunate that many of these individuals have included me in their lives and shared the wisdom they have gained in their journey since college graduation. One person especially close to my heart is Joe who I would have to consider the champion of commitment and dedication. When I learned initially that Joe was not on scholarship and was financing his entire USC education because he believed in the high value of his chosen path, I gained enormous respect for this tough young man from Baltimore. It took a while for us to really connect and talk about his life and dreams but once he made up his mind to join the U.S Army Joe became extremely focused and passionate and was able to share his dreams with me often.
Many would never guess that initially Joe was rejected from enlisting for medical reasons (lower back injury- weight lifting) in the Army after graduating from USC. It was this event that brought us together in an effort to solve the problem. Joe asked me to write a convincing letter that would create a waiver by the Army Medical Examiners and allow Joe to pursue his dream of becoming a Ranger. The act of writing offered me the time to reflect and consider all the factors needed to create a purpose and it was through this process that I gained the ultimate knowledge about Joe’s character, passions, determination plus his ability to take on any challenge. I have rarely met any person of his equal and now I feel his loss deeply. I have been touched by a real man and feel fortunate to have been the benefactor of Joe’s wisdom and convictions.
I will miss Joe dearly for the rest of my life. I love all you guys and I really appreciate the efforts of all who have expressed their feelings with such a meaningful conviction.


With my sincere and deepest sympathy,

Bill Jewell

No comments: