Tuesday, November 6, 2007

From Bob Martinez,

Well I don’t know where to begin talking about a true patriot and real hero. I will ever forget being a freshman during our week of “Team Bonding,” I was scared to death of the older upperclassmen, sitting down in the basement of “the house.” Joe was leading us in some of our “activities” and I remember thinking how gnarly this guy was. So full of passion for his beloved ‘SC. Well as life progressed I got to know the compassion and genuine love for his boys that Joe had.


I had the honor of living in the house for a summer. I have the fondest memories of that time. Joe and I both had the brilliant idea of getting dogs, I remember the summer afternoons sitting on the back porch of the house watching Bishop and Elvis run around. Bishop being more interested in rocks, then being chased by Elvis. Sitting out back and playing some shoes having a beer and loving life.


After I left school I lost touch with most of the people from ‘SC but I had the pleasure of seeing Joe and his then fiancé Athena several times in the South Bay. I saw him when he was working in some cubical job shuffling papers, I couldn’t help but think how Joe was destined to do more and how hard it must have been for him. He was destined to be great, and he truly achieved this in life. I found out that he had enlisted and was proud to call a man that brave friend. He was the kind of guy who would run through a brick wall. It made me feel safe and proud to know that Joe was out there fighting for us.


Joe was one of the most genuine true and loyal people I have ever met. He was a true role model and great man; I can only hope that my son can be like Joe when he is a man. We will never forget our brother


Deepest Sympathy and love

Bob Martinez

1 comment:

Ahmad Al-Kudmani said...

Shoes, definately a great addition to the backyard of the house.
That was a gnarly summer...
So was the summer with Cito hanging out with all of us, I believe '01...