Thursday, November 1, 2007

Letter from John Harper, a great friend of Joe's I've only heard about but never had the pleasure of meeting

To anyone who knew Joe,

For those that do not know my connection to Joe, we met almost three years ago to the week in Ft. Benning, GA at airborne school. Joe and I spent most of our free time and “work” time☺(if you consider freezing our butts off on our backs in 2 ft. of water in December doing hundreds of flutter kicks---work☺) with each other throughout our journey to become Green Berets. We were separated when he left to Ft. Lewis, and I returned to MD. We continued on our paths knowing that we would always see each other whenever we could. We were instant friends, and that friendship quickly turned into a life-long brotherhood.

For those of you that do not know the path of becoming a Special Forces Operator (and those of you that do will agree with me), lets just say we go through the Special Forces Q-course creating bonds that are unique and deeper than anyone can imagine. Before the army, I always thought I knew the reasons I wanted to become a Green Beret…to serve my country, lineage, to challenge myself, etc.; but now I understand more than ever that it was to meet men, like Joseph Curreri, that would be considered my brothers for eternity.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching and trying to recount the wonderful times/drives/discussions/memories that Joe and I shared. Here are some samples:
on politics (boy could he get intense); about Athena and Sarah--the loves of our lives; on what it will be like to finally get that ever elusive “Green Hat” ☺; grade school, high school, and college stories; sports---how I couldn’t stand USC football and how Joe would force me to listen to the USC fight song in MY OWN CAR on the late night drives from Ft. Bragg to MD and back--; how Dan, Biff, Joe and I crammed into my small car heading for DC and how he and Dan couldn’t stop discussing the future of the world and how we all hoped to make a difference; how he loved his family; our compassion and drive to achieve no matter what stood in our way; how I wished I could run/ruck/swim like he could; how he was so in touch with his faith and how I wished I could be as spiritual as he was; and soooo much more.

I remember the instant I met Joe standing in that dreaded airborne school formation; introducing myself and at that moment being instant friends. Then traveling up to Ft. Bragg to SOPC and throughout the Q-Course, where we were so excited when I finally got my car from home (until then we relied on Mickey Williams to drive us all over Ft. Bragg) so we could actually “leave” and make that 5+ hour drive to the rest stop off I-95 where he would meet his Dad. Then finding out we weren’t going to be in the same Phase II course, and seeing each other whenever we got the chance—working out together (meaning Joe out-running/push-upping me), long nights at Barnes and Noble, hanging out watching Lost in our rooms, and much more. Then the disappointment (at least for me), finding out that Joe would be going to 1st GRP and I would be going home to MD. Then how I asked him to be one of my best-men in my wedding, and how the army had him taking Chinese in Ft. Lewis. Joe was very disappointed that he and Athena could not make it. Then we both cursed the army for screwing up yet another opportunity for us to hang out; but in the back of our minds knowing that each of us had chosen that path, and we knew how important it was for the both of us to achieve our goals.

We never had to promise to keep in touch---we just did. And I remember the last moment I saw Joe---he came out to Baltimore to visit his Dad and family before he left for the Philippines, and he and I grabbed lunch and I took him over to my SF unit and introduced him to my SF experience. We wished each other luck and hugged goodbye (and everyone who knows Joe, knows that hug), and he said he would be contacting me as soon as he could from the Philippines---he did, and we exchanged a few emails and a phone conversation over the course of his deployment. I was very much looking forward to seeing him again this winter and continuing our friendship.

Joe was following the path that he so adamantly believed, and a path that most men do not even attempt to follow. Joe Curreri was no ordinary man…he was special in a way that only those who knew him, or knew of him, can comprehend.

I want everyone to know how incredibly he affected my life, as he had an affect on anyone that met him. And, like so many others, how I consider Joseph F. Curreri not just a friend but my life-long brother.

With sorrow in my heart and wonderful memories in my thoughts—Joe’s brother for life,
John

SGT John Harper
20th Special Forces Group (Airborne)
De Oppresso Liber
301-788-4096

Below are some quotes that I sent to Joe, and they help me remember how much I enjoyed our conversations.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (1806 –

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant (1822 – 1885


" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. "


We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Justice consists not in being neutral between right and wrong, but in finding out the right and upholding it, wherever found, against the wrong.

Theodore Rooseve

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

My comment in reaction to an article in the Baltimore Sun Wed. Oct.31st:

Even though Joe and I met just 3 short years ago following our dreams to become fabled Green Berets, he became a friend for life. Our ties to Maryland, views on life and love, and shared interests made us instant brothers forever. I am so deeply affected by this loss that I cannot even begin to put into words how much he meant to me and everyone that came across his path. Joe was an unmatched physical specimen, a profound thinker/philosopher, and truly “impressive”. A day won't go by that I will not think of our life-long brotherhood. Rest in peace, brother. De Oppresso Liber!

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus - Cite This Source - Share This
Main Entry: impressive
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: influential
Synonyms: absorbing, affecting, arresting, august, awe-inspiring, consequential, cool*, deep*, dramatic, effective, eloquent, excited, exciting, extraordinary, fab, far out, forcible, grand, impassioned, important, imposing, inspiring, intense, lavish, luxurious, majestic, massive, momentous, monumental, moving, noble, notable, penetrating, profound, real cool, remarkable, rousing, splendid, stately, stirring, striking, sumptuous, superb, thrilling, touching, towering, vital, well-done

Joseph Curreri you are my brother for life. I love you. Rest in Peace.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, thanks for that post. If anyone has anything they'd like posted, please email Erik or me.

ryabusa said...

John, I think I may have met you once. I am Joe's cousin, Ryan, that came down to the rest area on I-95 to pick him up a couple of times. I remember Joe telling me what a great guy you were.

This has been the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me and the one thing that has helped me feel a little better at times is seeing how many people's lives Joe touched. It would be hard to believe that someone could be so incredibly loved if I didn't know Joey like I do. There will never be another person like Joe and I will never stop missing him. But, knowing how many people share these feelings reassures me that the man I always considered a little brother will live on in countless hearts.

My love and memories of Joey will never fade and it is some consolation to know that so many feel the same way.

-Ryan

erikvendt said...

John, I'm really looking forward to meeting you. But I can tell by reading your letter that you and Joe have two very distinct things in common (amongst many other obvious things): you're both extremely eloquent and LOVE the quotes.

jharper4 said...

I am looking foward to seeing some of you again, and meeting a lot of you for the first time. I cannot wait to share stories of Joe with you all.

Erik, Sticking with the quote theme--Joe and I do love quoting others---a lot.
I saw this quote by Heraclitus under another SF guy's username on a website that had people offering their condolences to Joe---and quite frankly, I'm stealing it, because this IS who Joe was...

"Of every one hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR...and HE will bring the others back"----Heraclitus (Circa 500 BC)

-John

eddiejet said...

John, I never met Joe but have had the pleasure of caring for his mother's portugese water dog, Captain Nemo, for the last few months. At about 8:45 this morning my phone rang, it was Joe's mother confirming her appointment for today. She then shared the sad, sad news of the loss of her son. I recently lost my father on Oct. 6th. Lt.Col. David Salazar US Army RET (WWII-Guadacanal, Korea) and this hit me exceptionally hard. That knock on the door that every wife or mother fears when that honor detail arrives at their doorstep. I instantly thought of my mother and how for two years she lived "in that world" when my dad was a Major on the forward positions blowing MIGs out of the skies in Korea. (anti-aircraft). I am saddened at the tremendous sacrifice Karen made for our country and also by the loss of a young, strong soldier. It does not matter whether that man is 87 or 27, as in the case of my father and Joe, the loss hits just as hard.

But the reaching out by friends and strangers to comfort us in our loss, let us do the same for Joe's mom. Her house is full of flowers but I never knew how much they meant until they filled our home.

Send cards and flowers to Karen
713-1/2 Lucia Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Please respect this address and who resides there.

Anonymous said...

John -

I am almost 100% positive this is you...This is Betsy Hassett from Frederick, MD. I knew Joey from the time I was about 9 years old until we stopped swimming in our teens. Small world, if this indeed you. If it is - can you shoot me an email or send me your email address: betsy.hassett@marriott.com

I just wanted to let you all know that Joey's wife, family and friends are all in my daily thoughts and prayers. He was an amazing person and I feel so lucky to have had the chance to know him years ago.

Anonymous said...

My son is also a Special Forces soldier who attended Basic Training and many SF courses with Joe. During Basic Training Joe was his "Battle Buddy" and they looked out for each other. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Joe at the Basic Training graduation ceremony in Fort Benning, GA where Joe received special awards and recognition. His loss is huge to his family and friends not to mention the U.S. Army. The more I read about Joe and the manner in which he touched so many lives makes me grateful that I had the chance to shake his hand - even though it was but once. My condolensces to all who loved this man.

Michael - Issaquah, WA

Anonymous said...

I am a Chinese instructor teaching at a couple of colleges. Joe Curreis is one of my student who made an deep impression to me. We are not only very enjoy working together on the language study but also had a appointment --- Joe asked me to cheer for his friend who will join US Olympic swimming team for 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and I prommised Joe that
I'll back to Beijing to do it next summer. I got this bad news from another students at the end of Oct. and I am still can't believe this is true. Now, I really want to find Joe's frend (from USC swimming team). If who know him please email me. I thought this is only thing I can do for Joe now.

---CeCe