Friday, November 2, 2007

Tribute from Seth Meyer,

As we all have, I have struggled immensely over the last week, coming to grips with the idea that one of the greatest men I’ve ever known is gone.

Joe was the first person I met when we came to USC as freshman in 1998. The things I remember of that day are fleeting flashes Joe-dom. His chlorinated, semi-translucent blond mop. The sound of the Allman Brothers pouring from his room in our suite at Flour Towers. Going to our first (lame) frat party on the row together. Laughing as a certain swimmer girl staggered into the suite with her orange underwear reading “flirt” across the front unknowingly on display.

I knew after that day we would long be friends.

One of my favorite memories of Joe was when we went to the USC vs. Notre Dame game together at the Coliseum in 2002, and we were lucky enough to get some really good seats outside the student section, amongst a plethora of rich, hoity-toity ‘SC fans. Clearly they thought that they had paid for the right to enjoy the game from the comfort of their expensive seat. But if you’ve been to an ‘SC football game with Joe, you know he’s not going to lackadaisically cheer. He’s going to stand, and he’s going to stand pretty much the entire game. I remember people screaming and whining at him to sit down so they could see the game, and him turning around and saying, “No! You stand up! This is a football game!”

The hilarity ensued after the game as we left the Coliseum in victory, trouncing the Irish 44-13, and Joe laughed literally at every single person he saw with a Notre Dame shirt on, victory sign held high, singing the fight song. They didn’t think it was funny.

I know I’m not saying anything that everyone doesn’t already know, but Joe is everything you could want in a friend: loyal, compassionate, giving and completely non-judgmental.

An absolute specimen of a human being, Joe is the epitome of everything good that this country has to offer. I felt proud when I could share his story with others. I frequently tell people, “Joe is the type of person that you’re proud to know is defending our country. Smart, strong, ethical and voraciously intense.”

I didn’t know Joe as a soldier. But I can only imagine the ferocity with which he attacked any obstacle in his way.

I was interning in London during the bombings of 2005. Joe was one of the first people to email me and make sure I was OK. Here’s a bit of the email he sent:

“I just got back yesterday from five weeks in the field doing training, and ,I've been worried sick about you ever since I heard about the bombings, and attempted bombings, in London. I know you are alright, but man was I scared when I first found out. It underscores to me the importance of the fight against these butchers, to say the least. I don't take it kindly when my friends are in the crosshairs.”

I feel honored to be a friend of Joe’s. As I contemplate how to move forward, the thing I keep coming back to is using Joe as a model in my own life. Remember the intensity that he brought to each and every task needed to complete his goal. Remember how Joe made each and every one of his many friends feel loved. Remember how he would selflessly make sacrifices to spend time with loved ones.

It warms my heart to know that I am but one of hundreds of people whose lives have been enriched immensely by Joe.

I love you, buddy.

Seth

1 comment:

erikvendt said...

hahah, that's great! I have such a vivid picture in my head. I've seen Joe do that on other 'SC blowout games..hand raised and that laugh and point that adds insult to injuryI love it hahah